Our Adoption Journey!

A journal of our thoughts, feelings and steps in the process of adopting a child with significant special needs.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Busy little bees...

....that is what we have been over here behind the scenes getting everything prepared. I promised a few people I would post a couple pictures of the nursery we are getting ready. Actually this has been in process for a while as we were getting ready to do foster care when I read about Theo. Just recently I was working on the walk in closet, sorting boy clothes on one side and girls on the other, as with foster care we would be accepting placements of both. Also getting an organizer for blankets, diapers, wipes, burp cloths, etc. I had a chuckle when I saw that one of the google ads circulating on the page was for gdiapers....as you can see we have several of those stashed in their.


And then a picture of the bed.....I know, sheets with hearts and a pink car-seat underneath....my girls played a major role here and they were really hoping for a girl (I wanted a boy more), and I promise that if Theo is sleeping in this bed, he will get BOY sheets and will not have a pink car-seat ;0) I LOVE the HARD MFG pediatric bed, it is so easy to clean and sanitize and makes it very easy to mount an IV pole etc if overnight tube feeding is needed and it sits higher than a crib so it is easier on the back plus it is deeper and bigger than a crib. Ethan did not get a new bed until he was 8 years old and really it still had plenty of room, he just wanted a new bed to go with his new ice cream parlor room.
Other things we have been working on, looking and applying for grants. It is not a terribly expensive adoption, BUT we were not expecting this, so we had not been saving for it and so we need to come up with extra money fast. I have been spending hours sorting through adoption funding ideas an sources. Donations and ebay sales have helped us to meet our first financial goals, but we are still working on getting together agency fees, legal fees and travel costs!!!! Really tightening our belts here and cutting our expenses trying to save the money in a very short space of time.