Our Adoption Journey!

A journal of our thoughts, feelings and steps in the process of adopting a child with significant special needs.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Blanket


I was feeling restless over the weekend. Waiting is sometimes hard for me especially when it is waiting for answers about our future. The kids were playing outside so nicely so Terry told me to take Ethan and go to the baby store and at least get out and walk. So I took Ethan and we went shopping. Of course he was so excited and wanted to get something for our future baby, so I told him he could pick one thing. He went through the cribs, looked at all the pack-n-play, swings, bassinets, car seats, highchairs, bouncers, toys, pacifiers, bottles, etc until he got to the isle where the blankets were....he drove his wheelchair past the blue section, and then past the pink and was feeling the texture of each blanket within his reach and got very excited. It was a sage green and cream minky fleece, very much like the one he had as a baby. I asked him if he was sure that was what he wanted and suggested other blankets, but he was resolute. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I now wonder if he has some special memory of that blanket....I would be amazed if he remembered it at all. So I took the blanket off the rack and handed it to him, he struggled to grasp and hold it in his clenched little hands, but was determined to do it himself, then proceeded to drive himself up to the cashier and tried very hard to get the blanket up onto the counter himself. I think he wants the baby to always have something soft and warm to be cuddled in, so he will feel safe and loved.